Home What's Telelaget?     MembershipStevne       Contact Us

advanced search
Genealogy
Emigrant Database
Research Assistance
In Search Of...
More...
Points of Interest
Telemark, Norway
History & Traditions
Pioneers & Settlements
Publications
TeleNews
Telesoga
"To America" Series
For Sale...
Related Links
Member Websites
The Digitalarkivet
Telemark Heritage
More...
På Norsk
Telemark Historielag
Find us on Facebook!
Telelaget of America
Telemark Heritage
International Telemark
Norwegian Genealogy

Fyresdal's EmblemFyresdal Kommune

Pop. 1,379; Area 1,110 sq. km. (429 sq. mi.)

Fyresdal is the westernmost township and the westernmost valley in Telemark. For many years it was also the most isolated. Nature in this area isLocation of Fyresdal in Telemark well represented by large and beautiful Fyresvatn, or "Pine Lake." The lake is 26 km. long, dotted with larger and smaller islands and surrounded by hills and mountains. The kommune has many Viking-age mounds (graves) and the Moland church was in medieval times a destination for people from all over Europe, as the stream that ran behind the church was believed to have healing properties.

The area was called Moland until 1879, when the name was changed to Fyresdal.  The emblem for this kommune is a set of broad axes against a green background, acknowledging the importance of forestry in the area.   The village of Moland is the municipal center for Fyresdal.

 

Sights to See

Click for Fyresdal Video -  posted on Facebook by Fyresdal Kommune on Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Fyresdal District Museum is located in Moland on a site marked with prehistoric grave mounds. In the new museum building there are displays of household items, utensils, farm equipment, folk art, etc. Old buildings representing traditional styles from various parts of the township have been set up on the museum grounds. These include cottages, storehouses, a bathhouse, a summer kitchen and a flour mill.

Veum Church was built in 1863. Among the oldest items in the church are an ancient  collection of sermons, 2 brass candelabras and an old chalice.

Moland Church was built in 1843 on the site where a stave church, torn down in 1662, had previously stood. The church contains several valuable items from earlier churches, among them 2 brass candlesticks from 1661 and a Bible from 1633. The altarpiece from 1738 comes from the old church at Heggland.

The Skei Stone (Kjeisteinene) is a large stone with runic inscriptions from 1100 located at Moland just north of Fyresdal center. According to legend, people from miles around met here to fight and race. Originally there were four stones; placed at each corner of a square they formed a sort of "ring" for combatants.

 

Telelaget Genealogy

Telelaget's Volunteer Genealogists for Fyresdal

Emigrant Ancestor Database: Fyresdal

Submit your emigrant ancestor information

 

Bygdebøker for Fyresdal

What's a Bygdebøk?

  • Taraldlien, Bendik. Fyresdal, med Bilæte. Oslo: Cammermeyer, 1949.

  • Veum, Bendik. Fyresdal. Oslo: Fyresdal Kommune, 1943

  • Bd. I. Ætter og folkeliv.

  • Marvik, Steinar, 1947- Fyresdal gards- og aettesoge Steinar Marvik. Oslo: Fyresdal kommune, 1992.

 

Links

Norwegian Language

Official Fyresdal kommune Website

 

Submit Content

If you would like to add a link, submit photos of an historic site, or we've missed an important landmark you'd like to have listed in "Sights to See,"  please email!


Top of Page
Previous Page

Copyright © 2009-2017     
This page was last updated Saturday December 31, 2016 22:28:17 -0600